Sunday, November 14, 2010

Henryk Gorecki R.I.P.

Was chatting on friday with a RL-friend who loves classical music and refuses to acknowledge any composer who was born after 1850 or so. Which in my eyes is quite ignorant. However he was very fond of a piece of opera he saw in the movie "Hannibal" and was very surprised as I told him *nah nah na nah na!* that it is from Patrick Cassidy, one of those modern composers. I mentioned some others he might like if he'd only KNEW them... like Philip Glass, Nicholas Lens, Henryk Gorecki... Well, and while I sent him some links I recognized, that Henryk Gorecki had died exactly that day we were chatting. :-(

So here's an excerpt of his most famous work: Symphony No. 3. Don't watch it, when you're in a too depressive mood. I got the CD some years ago and it more then once made me cry. However, it's beautiful:


1 comment:

Teleny Macarthur said...

Simply magnificent! I wasn't familiar with Goreki, but this is amazing. Thank you for the introduction to him, sweetie! *hugs* Personally, I found it reaffirming, but then, one does take "downers" to offset the depressions, right? :-) This is what music "should" be to speak to the soul!